Students studying JNTUK R20 in the CSE branch can download the unit-wise R20 2-1 Operating Systems (OS) Material/Notes PDFs below. The material will help you:
- Learn about the internal operation of modern operating systems
- Study the concepts of processes, threads, mutual exclusion, CPU scheduling, deadlock, memory management, and file systems
- Understand file systems in operating systems like UNIX/Linux and Windows
- Get familiar with Input/Output management and the use of device drivers and secondary storage mechanisms
- Analyze the security and protection mechanisms in operating systems
The material has been updated with new content.
Also available – Object Oriented Programming through C++ Material
Operating Systems Overview:
- Functions of an operating system
- Structure of an operating system
- Operating system operations
- Computing environments
- Open-Source Operating Systems
- Operating system services
- User and Operating-System Interface
- System calls
- Types of System Calls
- System programs
- Operating system structure
- Operating system debugging
- System Boot
Download UNIT-1 Material PDF | Reference-2 | Ref-3
- Process scheduling
- Operations on processes
- Inter-process communication
- Communication in client-server systems
- Multithreading models
- Thread libraries
- Threading issues
- Basic concepts
- Scheduling criteria
- Scheduling algorithms
- Multiple processor scheduling
- Thread scheduling
- Race conditions
- Critical regions
- Mutual exclusion with busy waiting
- Sleep and wakeup
- Message passing
- Classical IPC Problems (Dining philosophers problem, Readers and writers problem)
Download UNIT-2 Material PDF | Reference-2
- Contiguous memory allocation
Virtual Memory Management:
- Demand paging
- Copy on-write
- Page replacement
- Frame allocation
- Memory-mapped files
- Kernel memory allocation
Download UNIT-3 Material PDF | Reference-2
- Conditions for resource deadlocks
- Ostrich algorithm
- Deadlock detection and recovery
- Deadlock avoidance
- Deadlock prevention
- File system implementation
- Management and optimization
- Overview of disk structure and attachment
- Disk scheduling
- RAID structure
- Stable storage implementation
Download UNIT-4 Material PDF | Reference-2
- Goals of protection
- Principles and domain of protection
- Access matrix
- Access control
- Revocation of access rights
- Program threats
- System and network threats
- Cryptography for security
- User authentication
- Implementing security defenses
- Firewalling to protect systems and networks
- Computer security classification
- Case studies (Linux, Microsoft Windows)
Download UNIT-5 Material PDF | Reference-2
- Operating System Concepts, 9th edition, by Silberschatz A, Galvin P B, and Gagne G, published by Wiley in 2013.
- Modern Operating Systems, 3rd edition, by Tanenbaum A S, published by Pearson Education in 2008. (This book covers Interprocess Communication and File Systems).
- Operating Systems A Concept-Based Approach, 3rd edition, by Dhamdhere D M, published by Tata McGraw-Hill in 2012.
- Operating Systems -Internals and Design Principles, 6th edition, by Stallings W, published by Pearson Education in 2009.
- Operating Systems, 3rd edition, by Nutt G, published by Pearson Education in 2004.
- Explain various generations of Operating Systems and their functions.
- Describe program, process, and thread concepts and analyze CPU Scheduling Algorithms to compare their performance.
- Utilize mathematical equations to solve Inter-Process Communication problems using various methods.
- Evaluate Memory Management Schemes, particularly paging and segmentation, in Operating Systems and apply various Page Replacement Techniques.
- Summarize File Systems in Operating Systems such as UNIX/Linux and Windows.